Alberta Provincial New Democrat Party: Women’s Caucus Executive
(amended November 2002 Annual Meeting )
1. To promote the participation of women in the New Democrats.
2. To educate the general members on issues affecting women.
3. To assist in the development and implementation of policies affecting women.
4. To educate and inform groups outside the party about New Democratic Party policies on issues affecting women.
-relation to provincial party and executive
-relationship to local or regional women’s caucuses
-ad hoc committees
-relationship to Federal NDP women’s caucus
-Two ‘face to face’ meetings each year; one at provincial convention, one midway between conventions
-Two telephone conference meetings a year
-Others as opportunity or need arises
-Past chairperson -Treasurer
-Pow Plus Representative
-Members at Large, (Five, including one each for the Olga Blondheim Fund and the Newsletter)
-Regional Members at Large
WOMEN'S CAUCUS JOB DESCRIPTIONS
1. Overall co-ordination of Women's Caucus:
a)encourage collaborative teamwork;
b)liaise and network with regional Women's Caucus groups;
c)initiate and co-ordinates short- and long-term planning;
d)ensure accountability within women's Caucus and executive;
e)with the concurrence of the executive:
initiate and participate in strategizing and lobbying internally and with women’s community groups;
initiate and arrange for candidate search for Women's Caucus AND executive positions;
initiate and arragne for the organizing of activities to further Women's Caucus objectives (eg. MLA and MP candidate search; candidate and campaign training);
2. Party and Caucus Responsibilities:
a)present issues and positions from Women's Caucus;
b)deal with non-routine correspondence;
c)are members of Alberta New Democrat (AND) executive, and delegates to Council and Convention as representatives of Women's Caucus
d)participate on committees of AND executive
e)around specific issues, initiate contact and/or meetings with AND party and legislature staff as necessary;
f)participate with AND committees as necessary (eg. Election Committee planning, candidate search);
g)liaise and network with AND and the federal party;
3. Administrative responsibilities:
a) arrange for Women's Caucus Executive and Annual General meetings
b) agenda preparation and distribution (prior to caucus and annual general meetings);
c) prepares and distributes information packages for other meetings as required
d) ensure appropriate disposition of Women's Caucus decisions (eg. resolutions, briefs, reports and other undertakings);
e) preparation and distribution of written materials (eg. resolutions, briefs) as required.
f) arrange for division of labour (eg. chairing of meetings, responsibilities for other tasks);
g) are ex-officio members of all Women's Caucus committees;
h) report in Newsletter and to Women's Caucus.
4. Liaise and network with external groups: (eg.women's groups social justice groups, AND Women's Constituency liaison government agencies and boards, unions, etc.).
II PAST CHAIR
1. Attends Women's Caucus executive and other meetings
2.Assumes specific responsibilities and/or projects as appropriate.
III POW PLUS REP
1. Provides input from the Provincial ND Caucus to the Federal Caucus and the Prairie Rep.
2 Liaises with the Federal Women's Caucus (POW) through the prairie regional representative;
1 .Is the treasurer (Women's Caucus, Olga Blondheim Fund,Fundraising) and arranges for:
a)bookkeeping: monthly and yearly statements;
2. In consultation with appropriate Women's Caucus executive members,
a)develops and presents to the executive and AGM, an annual expense and revenue budget;
b)monitors budget, and reports status of budget projections to Women's Caucus executive and AGM.
c)Develops proposed budget to be presented at Provincial Executive and Provincial Council
3. Explores options for investment and recommends appropriate action to the executive.
1. Meetinqs: Is responsible for minutes of meetings:
a)records and distributes to each member of Women's Caucus (including regional reps) prior to the next meeting;
a)arranges for the collection of mail from AND office: sorts and distributes as appropriate; responds to routine correspondence; reports to each executive meeting;
b) consults with co-chair(s) regarding correspondence requiring her/their attention/response;
c) initiates and/or responds to information sharing contacts with individuals and groups.
3. Maintain the membership list
a) Distribute the list to members and others as requested
b) Update the list as required
4. Administrative Archives:
a)maintain current filing system and archival documents:
b) arranges for maintenance and appropriate storage of archival documents.
VI. MEMBERS AT LARGE
MEMBER AT LARGE, OLGA BLONDHEIM
1. a)short and long-term planning for fund-raising for women candidates (including PACs and special activities) occurs, in conjunction with Women's Caucus executive;
b)appropriate information about the purpose and availability of the Fund
2. Initiates and arranges for activities, including advertising, facilities, recruitment of assistance, as required.
3. In conjunction with Women's Caucus executive, plans and application procedures and criteria, advertising, disbursements, after the election has been called for women candidates.
4. Works with regional caucuses to organize the Olga Blondheim Brunch at Provincial Convention annually or delegates this responsibility to another Women’s Caucus member.
MEMBER AT LARGE, NEWSLETTER
a) arranges for content, editing, typesetting, lay-out, graphics as required and appropriate, production, and distribution;
b) liaises with regional reps. for contributions
c) arranges for contributions to the party publication(s).
d) ensures that updates to the brochure are done when needed
MEMBER AT LARGE, POLICY
1. Maintains policy reference library
2. Co-ordinates Women's Caucus position development:
a)by special committee; b)through policy action plan.
3. Arranges for compilation of issues to be addressed, and co-ordinates policy setting.
4. Represents Women's Caucus on AND Policy Review Committee. Attends other Women's Caucus policy-related meetings as required.
5. Reports through, and contributes to, Women's Caucus Newsletter.
6. Encourages regional groups to develop a policy contact.
MEMBER AT LARGE, FUNDRAISING1. In conjunction with the executive, sets short- and long-term fundraising goals.
2. Initiates and arranges for fundraising activities, including purchasing items, arranging special events and identifying items to sell
3. Co-ordinates activities as appropriate with other AND groups.
4. Encourages PAC support for Women's Caucus (including updating form, acknowledging support, and, in conjunction with the treasurer, ensuring advertising in the Newsletter, Vision and Action, ).
5. Recruits and arranges for a committee as required.
6. Reports to the Women's Caucus executive.
7. Works with the treasurer to ensure appropriate bookkeeping,
1. Further the aims and goals of Women's Caucus in regional areas.
2. Arrange for regional events, activities, membership recruitment.
3. Attend Executive meetings and AGM to represent regional group.
4. Contribute to Women's Caucus Newsletter, to report from their region .
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ALL EXECUTIVE MEMBERS
1. Accountability to Women's Caucus for work assumed and for implementation of Women's Caucus goals.
2. Participation in networking with other women and women's groups, and distribution of Women's Caucus brochures to as wide an audience as possible.
3. Attendance of Women's Caucus meetings.
4. Provision of written reports to Women's Caucus Executive meetings, including reports from other external meetings.
5. Taking turns chairing meetings as appropriate.
6. Participation in recruiting new Executive members, Women's Caucus members and female candidates for election.
7. Participation in general projects or activities of the Caucus.
8 Participation in areas particular to responsibility and expertise (within Caucus and external activities).
9. Contributions to the Women's Caucus newsletter.
10. Encouragement of a collaborataive working environment for women to come together and work together.
11. Commitment to being the voice of women in the Party
12. Identification of and participation in:
a) provision of agenda items to the Co--Chairs one week prior to the scheduled meeting
b) provision of written proposals, resolutions, reports and other relevant documentation
c) agreement to keep other business to a minimum